Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Installed Lucee / Tomcat on my MacBook Air

Been wanting to get more comfortable developing locally on my MacBook Air so I decided to get Lucee / Tomcat up and running tonight while I watched the Flyers game.  I found a great article that really made the process super simple:

Brian Love's Article on Installing Lucee on OSX

Following the instructions on this page really just made this point and shoot.  I do want to learn how to setup multiple sites running either via apache or tomcat, but at this point I can develop locally.

Another item I wanted to figure out was how to connect to a mySQL server I have running on my VPS, so I didn't have to keep two DB's in sync.  Doing a little digging a found a pretty simple way of doing this using an ssh tunnel.  Here is the command that I ended up using:

ssh git@servername.com -p 22 -L 3306:127.0.0.1:3306 -N

You can shift that command to the background or just leave it running in a terminal window.  Once you have this running you can then go into the Lucee administrator and create your datasource connection to your mySQL database like it is running on your local computer.

Was a very productive evening fiddling around...

No comments:

Post a Comment